“A Course in Miracles teaches that the way to universal love and peace — or remembering God — is by undoing guilt through forgiving others.” – Judith Skutch Whitson, ACIM publisher.
We are for giving
- To offer forgiveness is the only way for us to have it, for it reflects the law of Heaven that giving and receiving are the same.
- Forgiveness is not real unless it brings a healing to your brother and yourself.
- Through forgiveness the thinking of the world is reversed. Holding no one prisoner to guilt, we become free. Acknowledging Christ in all our brothers, we recognize His Presence in ourselves. Forgetting all our misperceptions, and with nothing from the past to hold us back, we can remember God.
- To forgive is merely to remember only the loving thoughts you gave in the past, and those that were given you. All the rest must be forgotten. Forgiveness is a selective remembering, based not on your selection. Be willing to forgive the Son of God for what he did not do.
- Forgiveness is the answer to attack of any kind (turn the other cheek).
- Forgiveness cannot be withheld a little. Only forgiveness offers miracles.
- Think not that your forgiveness of your brother serves but you two alone. For the whole new world rests in the hands of every two who enter here to rest.
- But the only meaningful prayer is for forgiveness, because those who have been forgiven have everything.
- Forgive the past & let it go, for it is gone.
Forgiveness counters defensiveness.
Forgiveness – Ken Wapnick, PhD, Editor of ACIM
Guilt –The feeling experienced in relation to sin (separation); its reflection from our minds is seen in all the negative feelings and beliefs we have about ourselves, mostly unconscious (beware of unrecognized beliefs); guilt rests on a sense of inherent unworthiness, seemingly beyond even the forgiving power of God, Who we erroneously believe demands punishment for our seeming sin of separation against Him; following the ego’s counsel that to look on guilt would destroy us, we deny guilt’s presence in our minds, and then project it outward in the form of attack, either onto others as anger or onto our own bodies as sickness.
Forgiveness – Our special function that shifts perception of another as “enemy” to brother or friend, removing all projections of guilt from him; the expression of the vision of Christ, that sees all people united in the Sonship of God, looking beyond the seeming differences that reflect separation: thus, perceiving sin as not real.
The essence of forgiveness –Looking with the Holy Spirit’s or Jesus’ nonjudgmental gentleness and patience at our ego thought system; it is looking without judgment at our attack thoughts that undoes the ego: thus, looking at the ego without guilt and fear is the essence of the Atonement (“Atonement: the separation never happened”).
- Reverse the projection, realizing that the guilt is not in another but in your mind
- Gently look at the guilt in your mind with the Love of Jesus or the Holy Spirit beside you
- Let Jesus or the Holy Spirit remove the guilt from your mind once you have released it to them
Forgiveness – Marianne Williamson, A Return to Love
Our job as a teacher of God…is to constantly seek a greater capacity for love and forgiveness within ourselves. We do this through a “selective remembering,” a conscious decision to remember only loving thoughts and let go of any fearful ones. Forgiveness is a major cornerstone of ACIM and we are taught there is no guilt in anyone, because only love is real. We are asked to extend our perception beyond the errors that our physical perceptions reveal …to the holiness only our heart reveals. Since all minds are connected… the practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to healing the planet. It is the key to inner peace because it is the mental technique by which our thoughts are transformed from fear to love. Treating someone with forgiveness and compassion is much more likely to elicit a healed response. There is no negativity that forgiveness cannot transform.
|< “I am as God created me.”||Introduction to ACIM||“Truly Helpful” >|